What Is Baking Soda (Sodium Bicarbonate)?
Baking soda, also known as sodium bicarbonate, is a natural chemical compound that has a variety of uses. It can restore health and cleanse both your body and your house. It is completely free of harsh chemicals and toxins and amazingly, our grandparents used it all the time!
Baking soda works by regulating pH, preventing things from becoming too acidic or too alkaline. Once in contact with any other substance, baking soda naturally neutralizes them and prevents further imbalance. What this actually means is that baking soda is highly effective in neutralizing odours, removing stains, detoxing the body and eliminating infection.
How Does Baking Soda Affect Health?
Baking soda can be taken as a drink, by simply adding it to water where it will dissolve. This baking soda booster will then guarantee a healthy body biochemistry. It will boost your body's overall health by maintaining proper pH levels. It can be used to treat specific health problems, such as colds and flu, as well as stomach ailments, kidney stones, gout and urinary tract infections. It can also relieve the symptoms of arthritis, indigestion and heartburn. Some say it will even improve athletic performance.
The Benefits of Baking Soda: Alkaline and Antacid
Baking soda is a curious creature. It is both an antacid and an alkaline. As an antacid, it will neutralize acid, especially in the stomach, which is why it is so good for heartburn. Baking soda when mixed with water gets fizzy and makes you burp. This effervescence and the resultant burping help to relieve bloating and gas.
Baking soda also promotes a more alkaline PH balance in the body and alkaline is of course the opposite of acid. An alkaline PH in the body is healthier than acid (although you do need a balance of both) because some diseases prefer acidic conditions in which to grow. Certain degenerative diseases, such as osteoporosis, arthritis, and cancer, prefer high acidity levels in the body and so using baking soda can be a help in these circumstances.
Baking soda is also a mild antiseptic that will kill some kinds of parasites, fungi, and mould. You can add it to your toothbrush when you clean your teeth or gargle with it to help soothe a sore throat.
12 Benefits of Using Baking Soda
- Athletic performance: Among elite athletes, baking soda appears to reduce the acidity produced in the muscles during sports such as running or swimming and it helps the body to process lactic acid.
- Deodorant: Mix a teaspoon pinch of baking soda mixed with a tiny amount of water to form a paste.
- Detox bath: Mixing baking soda with apple cider and adding to the bath will help to soak away aches and pains and help to detox the body. It will also clean your bathtub and drain!
- Exfoliator: Make a paste that is three parts baking soda combined with 1 part water and use it as an exfoliator for your face and body. It's natural, inexpensive and gentle enough for everyday use.
- Foot soak: Add three tablespoons of baking soda to a bowl of warm water and use as a foot soak.
- Insect Bites: Create a paste made of baking soda and water and apply to skin to relieve itching. You can also rub the dry powder onto your skin. This is also effective for itchy rashes too.
- Kidney stones: As your kidneys are vulnerable to acidic urine this can lead to the formation of kidney stones. Treatment with baking soda can restore a healthy ionic balance and discourage kidney stone formation.
- Splinter removal: Soak the affected area twice a day with baking soda in water.
- Sunburn remedy: Add ½ cup of baking soda to bathwater, soak for a while and then pat yourself gently dry or apply directly via a cold compress.
- Teeth whitener: Crush a ripe strawberry and mix with 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. Spread this mixture onto your teeth and leave it for five minutes before brushing your teeth and rinsing. Just do it once in a while though as excessive use can damage your tooth enamel.
- Ulcer Pain: Baking soda quickly neutralizes stomach acid. Take 1-2 teaspoons in a full glass of water.
- Urinary Tract Infections: Baking soda can help to counter urinary tract infections as it reduces the acid in urine.
Are There Any Dangers or Side-Effects of Taking Baking Soda?
Baking soda is a particularly effective health treatment; however, you should also be aware that it can deplete the body of essential vitamins and minerals, especially B vitamins, folic acid and chromium. Baking soda should only ever be used for short periods of time and only in conjunction with other nutritional supports to prevent nutritional imbalances. Baking soda is high in sodium so it should not be taken in high doses and must not be used for long periods of time.
Possible side effects of drinking baking soda include stomach cramps and increased thirst, swelling of the feet, weakness, slow breathing, or nausea. Contact your GP if you have these symptoms.
Who Should NOT Use Baking Soda?
- People with oedema, liver disease, kidney disease, or high blood pressure.
- Nursing mothers or pregnant women.
- Anyone on a sodium-restricted diet
- Children younger than five years of age.
- Anyone who has just eaten – allow digestion time.