Healthplan Spain


Black American passport How To Renew An American Passport When Living in Spain Expat Tips

In this article, you will find details on how to renew your passport, replace a lost, stolen or damaged passport, and how to obtain an emergency passport.

Finding Your Local U.S. Embassy in Spain

To find your nearest U.S. Embassy go to 

Scroll down to either Spain Barcelona or Madrid and click on the option you require. You will then be taken to the embassy website where you can find contact details for the Embassy.

Registering with the U.S. Embassy

U.S. citizens living abroad are advised to register with the Embassy in order that they can receive notifications in the event of an emergency.

Registration is now called the "Smart Traveller Enrolment Program" and this can be completed online. It is free to sign up; further information can be found by going to:

Renewing an American Passport

The first step to renewing an American passport in Spain is to make an appointment at the United States Embassy; renewing a passport abroad cannot be done online.

If it is a passport renewal, you may also send all of your supporting documentation via post. (See further below).

U.S. Citizens have the choice of either submitting the application form themselves or asking a third party to submit the application for them. The only requirement is that the person wishing to renew their passport has signed the application form themselves.

Passport Renewal Step Two

Once you have made an appointment at your nearest Embassy, the applicant will have to complete a DS-82 form. You will need to fill out all of the information on the form including your contact information and a social security number.

You can download the DS-82 form at

Note that you can use the DS-82 form if your passport:-

  • Can be submitted with your application form
  • Is not damaged (other than normal "wear and tear")
  • Was issued when you were age 16 or older
  • Was issued within the last 15 years
  • Was issued in your current name (or you can document your name change with an original or certified copy of your marriage certificate, divorce decree, or court order)

Apply by post

If the above applies to you, you may also send in your application via mail.

Please see the following URL for full instructions.

If any of the above does not apply, you will need to use form DS-11 instead and apply in person at the United States Embassy in Spain.

You'll also need:

  • One 2" x 2" photograph; this needs to be a forward-facing photograph. The Embassy asks that people don't wear sunglasses, hats, hairbands, or anything that might obscure their features.
  • Pictures that are taken on a light background are best and it must be a recent photograph from the last six months. The Embassy has a photo booth for taking passport photographs.
  • Your most recent passport
  • Your completed application form
  • Credit card/cash to cover the fee

You can view all of the relevant passport forms here.


There is a $130.00 (Approximately €133.00) fee for renewing a passport. Payment fees for passports can be paid by credit card or cash.

You can also pay online at the following address.

How Long Does a Passport Last?

A passport will last for five years for a person aged under 16 years and it will last 10 years for people aged over 16.

Lost or Stolen Passports

In the event of a lost or stolen passport, you'll need to make an appointment at the Embassy. You'll be required to take along a form of photo identification and evidence of your U.S. Citizenship.

At the Embassy, you'll be asked to fill out a DS-11 application for a passport and a DS-64 statement detailing information about the lost, stolen, or damaged passport. If you fill out a police report, you are asked to take that along with you to the U.S. Embassy as well.

Once the passport application and statement have been completed, you'll need to take a new passport photograph. The embassy will require that it is a recent photo (less than six months old) and that it is a full front-facing photograph.

The Embassy has a photo booth on the premises where passport pictures can be taken.

A DS-11 application is subject to a $145.00 fee (Approximately €133).

Emergency Passports

Should an urgent situation arise and you require an emergency passport then this can be obtained the same day by going to the U.S. Embassy in Madrid or the U.S. Consulate General in Barcelona. An emergency passport will only be suitable for temporary use.

Obtaining an Emergency Passport

To obtain an emergency passport, you are usually required to make an appointment at the Embassy.

Nevertheless, in the case of an emergency, it is possible to obtain one without an appointment by visiting the Embassy between 08:00-13:00.

Once you have finished your emergency travel, you will have to exchange your emergency passport for a regular full American passport.

You can find further information via the following official page

Photo Credit: LucasTheExperience via photopincc

Health Insurance for Residency / Visa 10% + an extra 8% off listed prices Discount* More Information *Terms & conditions apply