Healthplan Spain


Passport with approved stamp Guide To Non-Lucrative Visas For Spain Expat Tips

The non-lucrative visa is for non-EU nationals who wish to reside in Spain but not undertake any work or professional activity here.

However, it is important to note that you may still carry out work remotely which will allow you to service clients or employers in countries outside of Spain and its territories.

With the non-lucrative visa which is sometimes referred to as the retirement visa, you only need to make sure that you have sufficient ongoing financial means to support yourself (and your family) while living here.

From the Spanish government's perspective, they want to know that you will not become a financial burden on the state.

Unlike the investor visa, you will not need to make any large investments in the country. You will only need a consistent guaranteed income (details below) to satisfy the residency requirements, although you will have to provide evidence of this.

Who is the non-lucrative visa for?

  • Those looking to retire in Spain
  • Those who want to work remotely from Spain
  • Those who wish to live in Spain for the first year without work but apply for a work permit in year two.

What are the benefits of a non-lucrative visa?

There are a number of benefits to obtaining this type of visa. This includes:-

  • After the first year, the visa can be renewed every 2 years until you reach 5 years at which time you will be eligible for permanent residency.
  • After the first year, you will be able to apply for one of the work visas.
  • You will be able to work remotely for clients or companies outside of Spain.
  • You may study or take a paid internship in Spain as this is classed as ‘education’.
  • No need to make any form of large investment in Spain.
  • Free movement within the 26 Schengen countries.
  • You may bring your spouse and dependent children with you.

What are the income requirements?

Having sufficient funds to sustain yourself and your family in the country is one of the main requirements of a non-lucrative visa.

In order to demonstrate that you have sufficient means, you will need to provide proof of the following yearly minimum income levels.

For the non-lucrative visa, you must prove that you have 400% of the IPREM received annually into your bank account. For 2024, the IPREM is €600 for a month. This means that an individual would need a regular guaranteed monthly income of €2,400 or €28,800 yearly.

For each additional family member, 100% of the IPREM is required, which in 2024 amounts to €600 per month or its equivalent in the foreign currency.

Evidence of sufficient income will need to be provided via the submission of original and stamped documents. These will need to demonstrate that regular income meets the requirement or the holding of assets guarantees the income such as rental property, investments or pensions etc.

If any of the financial means are acquired from investments in Spanish companies, applicants will need to certify that they do not carry out any work activities for the companies.

Learn more about the minimum income requirements for the non-lucrative visa including sample incomes.

How do you apply for a non-lucrative visa?

To apply for the non-lucrative visa, you will need to submit your application form and supporting documentation to your nearest Spanish consulate from where you legally reside.

The following page provides an interactive map where you can find your nearest Consulate or Embassy anywhere in the world.

Below we show the procedure for those applying from the UK. For other countries, the process will be almost identical.

There are three main consular regions in the UK which are covered by London, Manchester, and Edinburgh.

You will need to email one of the following addresses below stating in the subject line which visa you are applying for.




In the SUBJECT line, you must specify the type of residence visa you wish to apply for.

Within your email, you will need to include the following:-

  • The applicant's PERSONAL DETAILS (full name, nationality, passport number and telephone number)
  • TYPE OF RESIDENCE VISA you wish to apply for.
  • REASONS you are requesting the visa
  • DESIRED DATE for the appointment at the Consulate office (only on TUESDAYS and THURSDAYS of each week, between 09:30 and 12:00).

You can apply for the non-lucrative residence visa up to 90 days before your required entry date into Spain.

Required Application Documents

Below we list the documents you will need to provide when making your application for the non-lucrative visa. All documents will need to be photocopies of the originals.

  • National visa form - Download Spanish | English
  • Form EX-01 - Download here.
  • Fee payment form - Download here
  • Private Health Insurance - Proof of private health insurance contracted with a company authorised and regulated to operate in Spain. Please contact us here at Health Plan if you would like us to assist you with choosing the right health insurance for your Spanish visa application.
  • Bank certificate - Proof of financial means which satisfy the income requirements as outlined on this page.
  • Photos with white background - See official requirements here
  • Original passport
  • Medical certificate - This will need to demonstrate that you do not suffer from any of the diseases that would prevent your entry into Spain. Certificates will need to have an accompanying sworn translation into Spanish.
  • Criminal records - These must also be legalised and translated into Spanish. They must not be older than three months.
  • Payment of the relevant visa fee which is payable at the Consulate on the day your application is accepted.

Private health insurance is a requirement

Note that with the non-lucrative visa, it is a requirement to take out private health insurance cover from a company operating in Spain.

Please contact us here at Health Plan if you would like us to recommend the most appropriate insurance for your visa application or find out more here.

How much is the non-lucrative visa?

The cost of the visa is relatively cheap given that it allows you to permanently reside in this wonderful country.

At the time of writing, the fee varies from where you are from and will need to be paid at the consulate on the day that your visa is approved.

  • USA – €123
  • Canada – €507
  • Most other countries – €80

Once you have obtained your visa from the Consulate, you will have one month from the date of entry into Spain, to process the TIE (Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero) at the Immigration Office or Police Station.

How long does the process take?

Once you have submitted your documents visa approval may take up to three months, depending on the consular office's workload.

Once approved, you have one month to collect the visa in person. The visa is valid for entering Spain within three months. If you enter after this period, entry may be denied.

What if I want to work in Spain (Spain-based)?

If you've lived in Spain as a non-lucrative resident for a year and can't support yourself financially, you can switch to a full residency and work permit.

This requires obtaining an employment pre-contract and the necessary work qualifications.

If your visa application is rejected

If your visa application is rejected, you will need to know how to appeal. Please see our other page which explains why your visa application may be rejected and how to make an appeal.


If you will be living in Spain for six months or more, it is recommended that you register yourself on the padron (Padron Municipal de Habitantes) at your local town hall.

It's not obligatory to register if you are staying in Spain for less than six months, however, if you want to obtain your TIE residence card, apply for state healthcare, get a driver's licence or carry out other administrative tasks, you will need to register.

Registering yourself on the padron provides you with several benefits and allows the local government to receive the correct level of funding from the central government.

Although it is not a strict requirement, if you want to benefit from better public services for yourself and others in your community, you really should take the time to register.

You can read more about registering on the padron here.

You can see the official government guidance on the non-lucrative visa in English and Spanish here.

How do I renew my non-lucrative visa?

You will need to renew your non-lucrative visa after the first 12 months. You can do this either online or in-person. For further details, please see our other comprehensive article - Renewing Your Non-Lucrative Visa In Spain: A Step-by-Step Guide