Healthplan Spain


Can You Work In Spain With A Student Visa? Expat Tips

There is no doubt that Spain is an excellent choice for international students wishing to study abroad.

Studying in Spain offers a unique experience, allowing students to further their education, make new friends, explore the country, discover a new culture, and earn a top-notch degree.

Throughout the country, there are some great cities that you can study in, many of which can be considered some of the cheapest cities in Spain for international students.

Despite the relatively low cost of studying and living in Spain compared to other countries, the vast majority of students will still need to find additional sources of income.

So you may be wondering whether you can work in Spain once you have obtained your student visa.

Below we cover what you need to know about working with a student visa.

But let’s address the most important question first.

Can I work in Spain if I have a student visa?

Yes, you can. However, Spain, like other countries, does not always make these things simple.

Two options for students wishing to work in Spain

Students who wish to work in Spain while studying have two options.

These are:-

Part-Time Work

Many international students in Spain balance their studies with part-time work to support their education and living expenses.

The student visa itself allows for work authorization. However, if the visa was issued prior to August 16, 2022, the international student must apply for compatibility with their studies in order to work.

If the visa was issued prior to August 16, 2022, the following requirements must be met to request the compatibility of studies with work.

  • To work, the student must possess the necessary qualifications to carry out the job they are being hired for, which can be verified through certification of their education, such as a high school diploma, higher education degree, or professional certification, among others.
  • The employer must be registered with the Social Security system and must have kept up with their payments and tax obligations to both the Tax Agency and Social Security.
  • Additionally, the employer must have adequate financial means to hire and pay the student's salary and must provide relevant documentation to support this.
  • A signed employment contract by both parties must be presented.
  • The student must present an approved and economically viable business plan if they plan on pursuing self-employment.
  • The EX-12 form must be completed and submitted for the application, which is available for download.
  • Finally, as with any process, a complete passport and a copy of it must be submitted.

Keep in mind that the primary objective of the student visa is to pursue studies and complete the academic year in Spain, regardless of the type of visa. Thus, the opportunity to work, using any legal means, is seen only as a supplement to the study visa.

Thus, any work opportunities should only serve as supplementary income and not become the main source of financial support.

Additionally, the income earned from work will not be taken into consideration when renewing the student visa. The student must still have their own means of financial support to remain in the country.

If your student visa was issued after August 16, 2022, it's important to note that work hours must be limited to part-time (no more than 30 hours per week) and cannot interfere with class schedules. The work contract must not overlap or coincide with the student's academic or classroom training schedule.

If you are going to be working for an employer, the employer must apply for a work permit on your behalf.

The corresponding fees must also be paid. These can be paid online (Fee code is 062) here. The amount will depend on the authorisation required.

It is important to note that the right to work as a student is neither automatic nor guaranteed and that you must follow the correct procedures at all times.

Moving from a student visa to a full-time work permit

Once the student has finished their studies, it is possible for them to move to a full-time work permit under certain circumstances.

There are three possible ways to achieve this.

  • After spending a year in Spain as a student, it is possible to obtain a work permit as a highly skilled worker if you receive a job offer for a managerial or technical position with a salary greater than €40,000 per year.
  • Additionally, after a year in the country with a student visa, it is possible to apply for a job search permit, a non-lucrative residency for one year that allows the foreign student to remain in the country while seeking employment.
  • Furthermore, once the studies have been completed (regardless of the length of time), it is possible to obtain a regular work visa, either as an employee or as a self-employed individual (the latter requires the submission of a business plan).

Learn more about work visas in Spain.

Internships In Spain

In Spain, there are two types of internships (practicas): Curricular (student) and Extracurricular (graduate).

  • Curricular internships (student) are required for university graduation and must align with the student's academic field. They aim to provide valuable work experience and contribute to grades (ECTS). A learning agreement must be signed by the student, their educational institute, and the host company to establish learning goals. These internships usually last 2 to 6 months and cannot exceed 1 year.
  • Extracurricular internships (graduate) are voluntary and for students who have graduated within the last 2 years. These internships should be in the student's academic field, have a learning objective, and have an internship contract signed by the student, the host company, and, in some cases, the last educational institute. Extracurricular internships typically last 6 to 12 months and cannot exceed 2 years.

Further information on the internship visas and internships in Spain can be found at the following URLs.