Healthplan Spain


A Guide To Spain's Youth Mobility Visa Expat Tips

The Spain Working Holiday Visa, also known as the Youth Mobility Visa, is a fantastic opportunity for young people from select countries to experience the vibrant culture of Spain while gaining valuable international work experience. Launched in 2018, this program aims to foster cultural exchange and provide foreign talent to fill certain positions in the Spanish job market.

Eligibility and Purpose

The Spain Working Holiday Visa is available to citizens of Australia, Canada, Japan, New Zealand, and South Korea, aged between 18 to 35 (upper age limit varies). To qualify, applicants must not have participated in the program previously and must not be accompanied by family members. The primary purpose of the trip must be for holidaying, with work as a secondary intent. Applicants should have sufficient funds to support themselves during their stay (approximately €7,200 per year) and have a good understanding of Spanish at a functional level.

Working Opportunities

While in Spain, participants are free to engage in various job opportunities, such as language teaching, waiter/waitress, barista, cook, and other roles in the service and tourism industries. The program also allows for work in information technology.

Application Process

To apply for the Spanish Youth Mobility Visa, candidates must submit their application to the Spanish consulate in their home country. The process involves filling out necessary forms, gathering required documents, and attending an in-person interview at the consulate. The interview assesses the applicant's intentions for their stay in Spain and their financial capability to support themselves.

Required Documents

Applicants must provide a number of documents when making their application. These re:-

  • A valid passport
  • Birth certificate
  • Travel insurance
  • Medical certificate
  • Return ticket or proof of funds to buy one
  • Evidence of at least two years of higher education
  • Health insurance coverage
  • Work authorisation and Foreigners' Identification Number (NIE) - Note that you must have an NIE number before applying for the Youth Mobility Visa. This can be applied for via the Consular office in your home country.
  • Proof of sufficient funds - As a guide, Canadian’s would need 2,602.67 CAD for the first three months. If you have a pre-arranged job offer, you can fulfil the proof of economic means requirement by submitting your employment contract, provided that your income for the initial three months meets the specified amount.

Additionally, a support letter from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection and a clearance certificate from the police station are necessary for the application.

Duration of Stay

Successful applicants can stay in Spain for up to one year under the Working Holiday Visa. Within this period, they can work for a maximum of six months, with each employer for no more than three months.

For program participants staying in Spain between 6 months and one year, it is mandatory to apply for a "Tarjeta de Identidad de Extranjero" TIE (Foreigner ID Card) at the nearest "Oficinas de tramitación para ciudadanos extranjeros" (Foreigners' Office).

Visa Categories

Spain's youth mobility program offers five different categories of visas, each catering to specific purposes and qualifications. In some categories, a pre-arranged employment contract, either in the form of a formal job offer or an internship offer, is required. Here are the categories:

1. Category A - This visa is intended for post-secondary graduates who seek additional training and professional development in Spain through a pre-arranged job offer.

2. Category B - Category B visa is designed for post-secondary students who have enrolled in specific institutions in their home countries and wish to complete their studies in a Spanish institution. This visa is obtained through an inter-institutional agreement.

3. Category C - Young professionals fall under this category, aiming to secure a job offer in Spain to gain valuable work experience and contribute to their professional growth.

4. Category D - This category is available to registered post-secondary students seeking temporary summer employment opportunities in Spain.

5. Category E - Eligible for young individuals who wish to move to Spain and work temporarily, either engaging in volunteer work or supporting their trip financially.

Each category serves a distinct purpose and has specific eligibility criteria, offering diverse opportunities for young people to experience Spain and enhance their personal and professional development.

Enjoying the Spanish Experience

Once approved, participants should present their visa upon arrival in Spain and enjoy all the opportunities the country has to offer. Whether it's exploring the rich history and vibrant cities or embracing the warm Mediterranean culture, the Spanish working holiday promises an unforgettable experience.

Frequently Asked Questions

1. How long does it take to process the Youth Mobility Visa for Spain?

The processing time for the Youth Mobility Visa in Spain typically takes around one month. To ensure a smooth application process, the Spanish embassy advises submitting your application at least 90 days before your planned travel date to Spain. However, please note that processing times may vary based on your country of application and the current visa demand. It is best to inquire with the consulate or embassy to get an estimated processing time.

2. What is the duration of stay allowed with a Youth Mobility Visa in Spain?

The Youth Mobility Visa is temporary, allowing a maximum stay of one year in Spain. During this period, you can work for up to six months on a casual basis or for a single employer for no more than three months. Please be aware that this visa cannot be extended or renewed.

3. Can I participate in the Youth Mobility Visa program multiple times?

You can participate in the Youth Mobility Visa program in Spain twice, but there must be a minimum break of 90 days between the two participations. Additionally, your second participation must be in a different category from the first. See category list further above.

4. Is a job or internship offer required for the Youth Mobility Visa application?

Whether you need a job or internship offer depends on the category of visa you are applying for. Categories A, B, and C require a pre-arranged employment contract. On the other hand, categories D and E do not necessitate a formal job or internship offer.

5. Who is ineligible for the Spanish Youth Mobility program?

Several circumstances can lead to the denial of the Youth Mobility Visa. Applicants with dependent children under 18 years living with them may be ineligible. Additionally, visa refusal can occur if submitted documents fail to meet requirements or if an applicant has previously violated Spanish immigration rules. Moreover, not all applicants may qualify due to limited quotas allocated to each country for the youth mobility program.


In conclusion, the Spanish Youth Mobility Visa provides a unique chance for young individuals to immerse themselves in the Spanish way of life, gain professional experience, and create lasting memories. With this program, Spain opens its doors to the world, fostering international friendships and contributing to its economy through new perspectives and talents from around the globe.

You can learn more about the official youth mobility program here.