Healthplan Spain


How To Deregister A Vehicle In Spain Expat Tips

If you own a vehicle in Spain, there may come a time that for whatever reason, you will no longer need to drive it on the road.

It could be that the car has come to the end of its life and needs to be crushed, or maybe you are moving to another country and are taking the car with you.

Whatever the reason, you will ultimately need to de-register the vehicle from the DGT’s Vehicle Registry.

Be aware though, that if you are selling the vehicle, the procedure is completely different and you will need to change ownership of the vehicle.

In Spain, there are two types of removal which is a definitive removal or ‘Baja definitiva’, and a temporary removal which is known as a ‘Baja temporal’.

Below we cover everything you need to know about both procedures and how to easily remove your vehicle from the traffic authority’s vehicle registry.

Permanent removal (Baja definitiva ordinaria)

Any vehicle that stops circulating on the roads will need to be removed from the registry. There are three different categories of permanent removal which are:-

Ordinary removal - (Baja ordinaria)

If you intend to scrap your vehicle, you will need to take it to an authorised scrap yard in Spain.

Once the vehicle is scrapped you will be provided with proof that the vehicle has been definitively withdrawn from the registry and a certificate of destruction.

In this case, you will not need to make an appointment or visit the DGT offices to remove the vehicle as the scrap yard will take care of this for you.

You will need to provide the following:-

  • The vehicle to be written off
  • All the original documentation including the ITV and Permiso de Circulación.
  • Declaration of responsibility for definitive removal of the vehicle, in the event that the owner of the vehicle has died.

Transferring the vehicle to another country - (Baja por traslado a otro país)

If you wish to leave Spain and register the vehicle in another country, you will need to request a definitive removal due to export.

Once your request has been processed, you will be able to apply for green plates which will enable you to drive the vehicle temporarily.

You can do this online or in person. You will need:-

  • A completed application form
  • Identification
  • All of the vehicle's original documentation including ITV certificate and Permiso de Circulación. If this is not available, a declaration of not having the documents.
  • Receipt of payment of the fee which is currently €8.67 (The procedure is free of charge for vehicles that have been registered for more than 15 years)

Deregistration of an historic vehicle

If you have an old vehicle and it is destined for a museum, it may also be removed either online or in person at one of the many DGT offices.

To do this you will need:-

  • A completed application form
  • All of the vehicle's original documentation including ITV certificate, Permiso de Circulación. If this is not available, a declaration of not having the documents.
  • Accreditation of the vehicle's historic value.

If you need a face-to-face appointment at one of the DGT offices, you will need to call 060 or request an appointment online.

Temporary Removal (Baja Temporal)

Spain’s Baja Temporal is similar to the UK’s S.O.R.N (Statutory Off Road Notification)

There could be several reasons why you may want to temporarily deregister your vehicle in this way - for example, if the car has been stolen or you are unable to drive due to health reasons.

When you temporarily deregister a vehicle, it lasts for a maximum duration of 12 months which can be extended for a further 12 months. There are no limits to how many times you do this.

At the end of the 12 months, if the Baja is not renewed, the vehicle will automatically be registered again. You will then be liable to pay your IVTM road tax from this point.

If you wish to drive the car before the 12 months are up, you will need to register it again with the DGT.

Once the vehicle has been deregistered, you will be exempt from having to pay municipal road tax while it is off the road.

The main two reasons for temporarily deregistering the vehicle are:-

  • Baja temporal voluntaria - This is general deregistration for example if you will not be using the vehicle and want to save on the road tax.
  • Baja temporal por sustracción - If your vehicle has been stolen, this is the option you will need to choose. You will also need to report the theft via a denuncia.

Please be aware that if the vehicle is parked on a public road, you will need to have a valid ITV and insurance.

If you are deregistering your vehicle, it should be stored on private property.

There you have it. Everything you need to know about deregistering your vehicle in Spain.